SONS and Suns!!!

Be careful to leave your sons well instructed rather than rich, for the hopes of the instructed are better than the wealth of the ignorant.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Snowbowl without the snow, Caves without bugs...

There are those occassions when we will take the family on an outting. Be it into the depths of a cave or the top of a mountain we are bound and determined to have a good time.
Did you know that you can spend the night in the Grand Canyon Cavern's CAVE. One good thing about the cave, there are NO bugs! So NO bed bugs! It's very quiet down there, and there is enough room to bring the whole family. Nothing says fun like watching an old movie on the VCR and sharing a bathroom no bigger than one found in a travel trailer.
I am so glad to be in the cave, see the happy look on my face? Nothing says style like my very soft fashionable Dr. Pepper shirt. I don't even like Dr. Pepper, BUT this red shirt is so soft and comfortable! I know what you are all thinking, why am I being made to carry everything? I was wondering that myself.
These guys are THRILLED to be down in the cave. Thomas and I went on a field trip once when he was in kindergarten, 13 YEARS ago!!

We felt so much better to find out that if by chance we weren't able to get out of the cave for a while that we had rations in which to sustain ourselves. (Not to mention the toilet in the "honeymoon suite" for other necessities.) According to the tour guide the water was no longer drinkable without treatment and the military thoughtfully supplied inedible crackers and canned meat along with hard candy. GREAT! We are obviously set! Did I fail to mention they had a petrified bob cat down in that cave? Well they did, the good news is we also have bob cat jerky should we run out of the crackers and other goodies.
Happy group photo in front of the realistic dinosaur. Patrick isn't in the picture because the dinosaur already consumed him. Sorry Patrick had to sacrifice you as a snack so we could get a picture without anyone else being eaten. Thanks for taking one for the team. I am pretty sure I have a picture of Thomas in front of the dinosaur from when he was 5. I will have to dig it out and put it on here sometime. If I remember correctly he was a lot happier THEN to pose with the dino!


AND THEN.............



Our other fun excursion as a family was to the HIGHEST point we could reach in Arizona. We took this trip prior to going into the depths of the Earth. (See Patrick is still in the pictures).
SNOWBOWL 2010

Here is Daniel and Patrick heading up to the top of the mountain. They are happy to be going and at this point are clearly not aware it will take over 20 minutes, get colder, and the ground will become increasingly further away. But they are BRAVE boys so we allowed them to ride by themselves together. YES! We did make them promise to keep the lap bar DOWN and not push one another off the seat as that would not be a funny joke at all.

Oh how happy Tom looks. This is what it looks like when you are almost to the ground after being up in the THIN air for a while. These boys didn't follow the rules, they were riding without the safety bar down, BAD BOYS! Ironically enough it wasn't any faster coming down than going up, so 25 minutes later HERE WE ARE.

Here are a couple shots of us on the mountain. The air was thin and running was out of the question. The view was amazing. Above is our group shot of the "guys" and below of the "ladies".
And then a sitting down picture.
THANK YOU Snowbowl for building this. How grateful the "ladies" were to know that they had other options than to "find a bush". I don't care where it is, we are always grateful to have a bathroom option. Whether it be in a cave or at 11,500 feet!
We sure are glad to be able to take our family different places, to see new things and to be together. We are pretty blessed for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment