SONS and Suns!!!

Be careful to leave your sons well instructed rather than rich, for the hopes of the instructed are better than the wealth of the ignorant.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving....

 
Ok, true story....


A long, long (long) time ago when I was about 12
(I think?...HEY! I mentioned it was a long time ago) There happened a disturbing moment .  I will start from the beginning, for "making sense" purposes.  One day while in my youth my Dad went to the local feed store to look into purchasing chickens.  We walked out of that store that day with over 50 tiny, yellow, fluffy, noise making critters, and 2 feed containers.  Looking back now, I am not sure why I was excited, had I been thinking I would have realized this meant WORK!  Sooooo in about 2 weeks the chickens were much bigger and a lot less cute and fun.  We had been raising them in the safety of the shed under a heat lamp till we built their luxury condo on the back of our other shed.  (Yep, I helped with this too= WORK) Long story short, we put them in their chicken condo coop, they grew, they laid eggs, they clucked. 


Fast forward........


A couple months? Years? (Some measure of time later) The lives of the coop dwellers were going to change drastically.  My parents mentioned my Grandma Rosie was coming out to help us with the chickens.  What they should have said was, "Johanna, prepare yourself because your psycho axe wielding grandmother is coming over and is going to lob off the heads of all the chickens right in front of you, thus changing your childhood and your desire to eat chicken COMPLETELY."  They didn't say that though, there was no warning, there was no chance to hide!


Results........


For nearly 5 years I didn't eat chicken.  (After all it came out of our freezer of death, I am sure of it.)  Then when I was thinking I was finally to the point of being able to eat a dish of food that contained chicken (preferably deboned and skin free when bought) I made the unfortunate decision to watch the movie Poltergeist.


5 more years, chicken less.


So as I ponder about tomorrow, and the unfortunateness of me having to make the Thanksgiving dinner.  And especially after reflecting back on those nightmare moments of my childhood, (and convincing myself I need another 5 year reprieve) I am thinking, HAM!  Why not ham?!? 


The turkey can be cooked by someone else another year.  After all look at it, is it really a turkey or is it just a chicken on "roids"? 


That's why I put up the pictures, so you could look and agree with me that they are too similar! 

Side Note: I have never looked at Grandma the same.....and I never talk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment